Olympics football: GB beaten by South Korea on penalties

     Great Britain were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the Olympic football tournament by South Korea after losing a dramatic penalty shoot-out. Daniel Sturridge saw his penalty saved by substitute keeper Lee Bumyoung as GB lost the shoot-out 5-4 in Cardiff. ...

Olympics football: Brazil overcome stubborn Honduras

    Leandro Damiao helped Brazil to a 3-2 win over nine-man Honduras that set up a semi-final with South Korea. Honduras led twice through Mario Martinez and Roger Espinoza but Damiao produced one equaliser and after Neymar scored another, Internacional striker Damiao grabbed...

Rubin Kazan recruit Rondon from Malaga

Rubin Kazan have signed Venezuela striker Salomon Rondon from troubled La Liga side Malaga, the clubs said on Sunday. Rondon has signed a four-year contract, Russian side Rubin announced on their website. "The 22-year-old player has a bright future ahead in the Russian league," Malaga added on their official website wishing their former player well. Rondon's departure comes after Malaga announced last week they were conducting an "internal restructuring"...

Fiorentina sign Aquilani from Liverpool

Fiorentina signed Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani from Liverpool on Friday with media reports putting the fee at seven million euros. "Fiorentina announces the aquisition of Borja Valero Iglesias and Gonzalo Javier Rodriguez from Villarreal Club and Alberto Aquilani from Liverpool Football...

Dinamo Zagreb to face hearing over fans

Dinamo Zagreb are to face a disciplinary hearing following a protest by Bulgarian champions Ludogorets over their controversial Champions League qualifier last week, UEFA said on Thursday. Ludogorets, who won their maiden league title in May, said club officials were the victims of racial abuse...

UEFA may review rule that hit Spurs bid

The Champions League rule which has denied Tottenham Hotspur a place in next season's competition because Chelsea won Saturday's final could be reviewed by UEFA's executive committee, president Michel Platini said on Wednesday. Chelsea automatically qualified for next season as European champions...

Ivanovic: Tough to watch Chelsea triumph

Branislav Ivanovic has described the emotions he was put through after being forced to watch Chelsea’s Champions league victory over Bayern Munich. The powerful Serbian was suspended for the final at the Allianz Arena after picking up a third booking during the semi-final encounter with Barcelona. Munich...

Schweinsteiger sorry for president snub

Bastian Schweinsteiger was "paralysed" with disappointment after Bayern Munich lost Saturday's Champions League final and did not see German president Joachim Gauck offer his hand, he said on Monday. Schweinsteiger apologised for the incident but said he did not intentionally snub Gauck as...

Cameron basks in Chelsea's triumph

British Prime Minister David Cameron savored Chelsea's win over German club Bayern Munich in the Champions League final on Sunday after watching the deciding penalty shootout with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at a summit in the United States. "It's not often you get the opportunity to watch...

Champions League perfect present for Cech

Petr Cech celebrated a perfect 30th birthday on Sunday after producing another exceptional goalkeeping performance to help Chelsea land their first Champions League trophy. The Czech had a shaky first half of the season but his revival in form has run parallel with the club's overall resurgence...

Bertrand offers Chelsea glimpse of future

There has been endless debate about Chelsea's fate once Frank Lampard, John Terry, Ashley Cole and Didier Drogba move on, but young defender Ryan Bertrand proved at Saturday's Champions League final that the future is bright at Stamford Bridge. The 22-year-old left-back became the first player...

Bayern still waiting to crown 'golden generation'

Another Champions League final another defeat, time is running out for Bayern Munich's home-grown talent to claim the top prize in European club football and cement their status as a golden generation. Bayern had set their sights on the Champions League in December 2010 when club president Uli...

Cahill eager to begin new Red Bulls challenge

Australian Tim Cahill, the latest international to join Major League Soccer, said on Thursday he is eager to help the New York Red Bulls win their first title now that his move from Premier League club Everton has been completed. The 32-year-old attacking midfielder joins the MLS's Eastern Conference-leading...

Judge and attorney to tackle FIFA corruption

FIFA named leading crime fighters from the United States and Germany on Tuesday to tackle corruption in football's world governing body and gave them free rein to re-examine the ISL bribery case. U.S. attorney Michael Garcia, whose past responsibilities have included enforcing arms regulations and...

Bin Hammam banned for financial wrongdoing

The Asian Football Confederation have suspended former President Mohamed Bin Hammam after a lengthy audit of their accounts revealed fresh allegations of financial wrongdoing, the body said in a statement on Tuesday. Bin Hammam, who is fighting a life ban by football's world governing body FIFA...

Blatter unaware of bribery pre ISL collapse

FIFA President Sepp Blatter knew nothing about bribes paid to his predecessor Joao Havelange by now defunct marketing partner ISL until after the company collapsed in 2001, he said in a newspaper interview. "I did not know until later, after the collapse of ISL in 2001, about the bribery," the...

Drogba arrives to warm welcome in Shanghai

It is not money but the big challenge in an unfamiliar land that lured Didier Drogba to China, the Ivory Coast striker said on Saturday. More than 300 fans gathered at the Shanghai airport to welcome Drogba on his much-anticipated arrival to join Chinese Super League strugglers Shanghai Shenhua. Drogba...

Blatter urged to explain payments scandal

FIFA President Sepp Blatter has questions to answer over a bribery scandal that has further damaged the image of world football's governing body, a group of European politicians said on Friday. A Swiss prosecutor said in a legal document released this week that former FIFA president Joao Havelange...

Cameroon coach wants Eto'o captaincy ended

Cameroon coach Denis Lavagne wants Samuel Eto'o removed as captain when he returns from suspension later this year. Eto'o was given an eight-month ban for leading a strike last November when Cameroon refused to play a friendly in Algeria because they had not been paid promised bonuses. In a letter...

NY Cosmos join North American second tier

The New York Cosmos, a club that once featured Pele and Franz Beckenbauer, are returning to competitive action next year after a 28-year absence as part of the second division North American Soccer League (NASL). The original Cosmos folded in 1985 after a short but high-profile existence in the...

Maradona sacked as coach of Al Wasl

Former Argentina World Cup-winning captain Diego Maradona has been sacked as coach of United Arab Emirates club Al Wasl. The 51-year-old, who agreed a two-year contract with Al Wasl in May 2011, was dismissed following a meeting of the club's board on Tuesday. "Following a meeting held by the board...

Nesta seals deal with Montreal Impact

Italy's World Cup-winning defender Alessandro Nesta has signed an 18-month contract with the Montreal Impact in North America's Major League Soccer. "I'm very happy to be here," the 36-year-old Nesta said in a statement released by the club on Thursday. "Despite some offers to continue my career...

Beckham banned for losing his cool

Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has been suspended for a game for "confrontational and provocative behaviour" near the end of last week's loss to the San Jose Earthquakes, Major League Soccer (MLS) said on Thursday. The actions by Beckham, who was also fined an undisclosed amount, occurred...

Kanoute latest big name to head for China

China's growing popularity as the preferred destination for ageing former English Premier League players shows no sign of slowing with striker Frederic Kanoute completing a move to Beijing Guoan, the Chinese Super League side said. The Beijing club said in a brief statement on Saturday that the...

Japan extends coach Zaccheroni's contract

Japan have extended national football coach Alberto Zaccheroni's contract with a view to having the Italian guide the Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, according to local media reports. The 59-year-old was appointed in August 2010 on a two-year contract with the provision...

Shanghai Shenhua confirm Moreno signing

Colombian attacking midfielder Giovanni Moreno has signed for Shanghai Shenhua, the Chinese Super League club confirmed on Sunday. Moreno, who flew to China on Friday, will join Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba and former France forward Nicolas Anelka at the ambitious Chinese club led by former...

Kewell quits Melbourne for family reasons

Australia forward Harry Kewell has quit Melbourne Victory after just a year at the A-League club after deciding to return to England for family reasons. The 33-year-old former Leeds United, Liverpool and Galatasaray playmaker scored eight goals in his first season in his home domestic league...

Drogba joins Anelka at Shanghai Shenhua

Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba ended weeks of speculation about his future on Wednesday by following his former Chelsea team-mate Nicolas Anelka in making a lucrative move to big-spending Chinese Super League strugglers Shanghai Shenhua. Drogba had been tipped to make the move to the Far...

Drogba promises 'interesting' move imminent

Outgoing Chelsea striker Didier Drogba promised an imminent announcement of his "interesting" move to a new club but would not confirm heading for the big-spending Chinese team Shanghai Shenhua. "The next step is going to be an interesting one and I think soon I'm going to announce it," Drogba,...

Kuba reveals tragedy behind celebration

Behind the glowing headlines about the scorer of the most brilliant goal at Euro 2012 lies the dark story of an 11-year-old boy who witnessed his father stabbing his mother to death. Poland midfielder and captain Jakub Blaszczykowski has lived with the horror for more than 16 years. "This...

Lengthy bans requested for Bonucci and Pepe

Italy's football federation (FIGC) prosecutor has asked for a three-and-a-half year ban to be imposed on Juventus and Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci and one year for winger Simone Pepe over match-fixing, the federation said Friday. Both played key roles in helping Juventus win Serie A last season. Bonucci,...

Masiello handed 26-month ban for match-fixing

Former Bari defender Andrea Masiello, now with Atalanta, was banned for 26 months on Friday for his part in the latest match-fixing to hit Italian football. Promoted Sampdoria were docked one point for the forthcoming Serie A campaign and fined 30,000 euros and Bari, who play in Serie B, were...